Round 17 - Storm vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

What is most frustrating is that we ARE capable of playing a top 4 brand of footy. I'm optimistic that with a few key personnel changes on and off the field we can be contenders next year. Must get rid of the dead wood right now though.

its a good point. its just some very key positions. 1 6 & 7 have struggled, for different reasons.

JYY CANNOT play NRL until next year, please, for the love of all things good about this club DO NOT BRING HIM BACK IN 2013!!!

I'm with you [MENTION=1996]noisetheory[/MENTION] - struggling to watch. I nearly turned off at half time. And I hate to admit it but I turned off at 32-0. I never turn games off. Hell I even stuck out the Warriors last week. I've had my vent in the live thread.

Shit needs to change NOW. First thing: Norman needs to go. Immediately. This year is gone - build for next year. He won't be here, so he can go now. I've been saying it for weeks now. Just. Fucking. Do. It.

Time to rebuild. What is the strategy for 2014?

It obviously cannot involve Norman, so get rid of him now.

It honestly depends who we can poach in the off-season, I can't see us getting any big names apart from Ben Barba (Still only 50/50 chance of coming up here), next year is a write-off if that's the case, Prince and Stagg retire, Norman moves on, Maranta is dropped - never to return, Wallace is dropped for the remainder of this year to give him a kick up the ass, McCullough is told he's out of a job and should start looking for another team.

Best case scenario (And I mean everything would have to go our way for this to happen) we start 2014 with a line-up looking something like this:

1 - Ben Barba
2 - Jharal Yow Yeh
3 - Justin Hodges
4 - Jack Reed
5 - Josh Hoffman
6 - Peter Wallace
7 - Ben Hunt
8 - Ben Hannant
9 - Kurt Baptiste
10 - Josh McGuire
11 - Alex Glenn
12 - Sam Thaiday
13 - Corey Parker (c)

14 - Jake Granville
15 - Matt Gillett
16 - Lama Tasi
17 - David Hala

Even with that team I think we will struggle under the Anthony Griffin and Stephen Kearney structure of football, those 2 need to go, as soon as humanly possible. 2014 looks extremely grim at this point in time.

Last edited:
God we suck. We lack everything to come even close to the 8 this year (except potential, but we only succeed at NOT fulfilling it). One thing I notice when we do actually make a tackle is there's no aggression. No one in our team is hurting/can hurt anyone. We've got decent-sized props and someone like Hala should be tackling guys the way he takes kick-off runs. (absolutely NOT singling him out, just using his size as the example)

But he doesn't. No-one does. Our defence is ordinary and our attack is so completely non-existent that we can't compensate. The halves have no idea what to do, the rest of the team has no idea what the halves are doing, so there's a lot of passes back and forth to no-one in a position to actually gain anything. Set after set, week after week, we have pot shots at the line and no reward from them. It's not like we can even rely on bombing the wings to someone like Jharal like we used to.

I want to like Hook and I want to see him succeed, but **** me the club is already going rapidly downhill. We're becoming a 'maybe once in 5 seasons we'll make finals and have a decent go at things' team. But of course that relies on recruitment as well ….

whoever is posting from the broncs twitter is having a hard time tonight. they seem quite frustrated too but being politically correct. nice they are responding at least, even if its just a social media employee.

It honestly depends who we can poach in the off-season, I can't see us getting any big names apart from Ben Barba (Still only 50/50 chance of coming up here), next year is a write-off if that's the case, Prince and Stagg retire, Norman moves on, Maranta is dropped - never to return, Wallace is dropped for the remainder of this year to give him a kick up the ass, McCullough is told he's out of a job and should start looking for another team.

Best case scenario (And I mean everything would have to go our way for this to happen) we start 2014 with a line-up looking something like this:

1 - Ben Barba
2 - Jharal Yow Yeh
3 - Justin Hodges
4 - Jack Reed
5 - Josh Hoffman
6 - Peter Wallace
7 - Ben Hunt
8 - Ben Hannant
9 - Kurt Baptiste
10 - Josh McGuire
11 - Alex Glenn
12 - Sam Thaiday
13 - Corey Parker (c)

14 - Jake Granville
15 - Matt Gillett
16 - Lama Tasi
17 - David Hala

Even with that team I think we will struggle under the Anthony Griffin and Stephen Kearney structure of football, those 2 need to go, as soon as humanly possible. 2014 looks extremely grim at this point in time.
That is a sensational team. Seriously anyone could coach that side to top 4. Anyone except our coaching staff.

I'd like to also have a bitch and a whinge about our kicking. Kicking 40m off a kick-off is fucked. Gifting them 10-15m EVERY restart. Not good enough.

Also want to complain about how we fail to go up the middle close to the line. Once we get inside the opposition 30, all we seem to fucking do is side to side, encountering sliding defence every time. Duh, surprise! If we had our big blokes running inside lines through the middle to draw defenders in, there might actually BE room outside. Either that, or one of our big blokes actually breaks through and scores.

The one-dimensional attack is what kills me most. One-out, one out, oh shit we're getting close, THROW IT WIDE!! We don't even look LIKELY most of the time. FFS, we are so easy to read. Zero creativity. MIX IT UP!!! ****!!!

Last edited:
Well putting the Broncos effort aside this game highlighted a few other things for me, firstly the Storm are a mob of grubs, two players hold the man up in the tackle whilst a third attacks the legs and and that happens 2 or 3 plays out of every six, its a definite tactic, not only does this slow the play the ball it has the potential to cause serious injury. Grub tactics, grub coach, grubby club all over and they are just allowed to get away with it.

Secondly the two ref system for me is a load of crap, you have two different guys interpreting two different ways, setting two different 10 meters, one goes to the video ref, one just awards dubious trys..............what we end up is an inconsistent mess of rulings, how in anyway imaginable is this system fair.

Broncos were not good enough tonight but neither is the NRL refs or the systems.

I would stick with Maranta.

He had an off night but a winger who has only played a handful games was not the reason we lost tonight. There are guys in the squad with over a hundred games still making elementary errors but it's the rookie that cops it.

If we have faith in Maranta, he will deliver the goods no doubt about it in my mind.

You guys seem to need a bit of cheering up..so here's some comedy gold from Hook.

"They scrambled well, we just never got enough pressure to crack em open"
"We scrambled great at times as well"
"It is what it is"

Does anyone else here feel as though both Hook and Gee have hindsight and not foresight. They should have seen this coming and even if Norman wasn't leaving he was a centre at best not fucking playmaker

How's the Melbourne Storm Twitter form? Bagged out Tim Gilbert. sure, he's a crap commentator, but not cool for an official Twitter account.

As for the game... this team is disgraceful. don't give me this close tries rubbish, we are horrible in attack.

if Wallace and Prince disappeared you wouldn't notice. both useless.

Does anyone else here feel as though both Hook and Gee have hindsight and not foresight. They should have seen this coming and even if Norman wasn't leaving he was a centre at best not fucking playmaker

Gee and Griffin have no sight..they're blind..If they had hindsight they might stop making the same mistakes week in week out.

I'd like to also have a bitch and a whinge about our kicking. Kicking 40m off a kick-off is fucked. Gifting them 10-15m EVERY restart. Not good enough.

Also want to complain about how we fail to go up the middle close to the line. Once we get inside the opposition 30, all we seem to fucking do is side to side, encountering sliding defence every time. Duh, surprise! If we had our big blokes running inside lines through the middle to draw defenders in, there might actually BE room outside. Either that, or one of our big blokes actually breaks through and scores.

The one-dimensional attack is what kills me most. One-out, one out, oh shit we're getting close, THROW IT WIDE!! We don't even look LIKELY most of the time. FFS, we are so easy to read. Zero creativity. MIX IT UP!!! ****!!!
What about Wallace and his long passes allowing Storm defence to run across to the winger, in fact they beat the ball here

whoever is posting from the broncs twitter is having a hard time tonight. they seem quite frustrated too but being politically correct. nice they are responding at least, even if its just a social media employee.

I've noticed recently they've been a lot more interactive with ALL fans, not just the 'good' tweets to the account that they just usually retweet. I think they (or maybe the higher-ups) sense an uprising and are trying to calm everyone down and say 'Look we understand, just please stick with us'

its nice as a fan as you feel like someone is listening. or at least hearing you. as i said, even if its just some 22 yr old social media kid.

Tim Gilbert: Andrew McCullough goes in to dummy-half, off to Wallace, inside to Hoffman.
Reality: Ben Hunt goes in to dummy-half, off to Wallace, inside to Norman.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Stix
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Scorchie
  • Fozz
  • Broncorob
  • mieko
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Shane Tronc
  • Maddy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wild Horse
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.