PRE-GAME Round 26 - Cowboys vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think another poor showing from our left side defence could spell some changes.

Bennett Hollers For B Marshall

Tue 29th August, 05:00PM
BENJI Marshall’s standing as one of the best buys of the 2017 season will gain momentum when he is called on again by the Broncos this week.

Ben Hunt has been named in the Broncos’ number-nine jersey ever since Andrew McCullough was ruled out with a knee injury a month ago.

However he has been starting the games on the bench, with Sam Thaiday playing the first 20 minutes at dummy half.
That looks set to change this Thursday night against the Cowboys in Townsville thanks to the season-ending injury to prop Ashton Sims.

Sims broke his arm against the Eels last week, and Thaiday has been named in his place in the number-eight jersey.
With Thaiday reverting to his former life as a hit-up forward, Hunt will start the match at hooker.

Again it is Marshall to the rescue, with the wily half set to play as a utility off the bench against the Cowboys.

He was named in the number 14 jersey today, and could see some time at hooker as Hunt tires.

In good news for the Broncos, winger Jordan Kahu and bench forwards Tevita Pangai junior and Joe Ofahengaue will all make returns to the field.

Kahu missed last week’s loss to the Eels with a groin injury, although it remains to be seen if that one-week rest was enough for him to take back the goal-kicking duties.

Pangai has been cleared to play after a hamstring strain forced him to the sideline for a week.

Ofahengaue should hit the field revitalised after serving a three-week stint on the sidelines for a lifting tackle.

Jai Arrow is the unlucky one, dropping out of the 17 despite playing strongly in Ofahengaue’s absence.

Jaydn Su’A, David Mead and Norths Devils Intrust Super Cup half Todd Murphy are listed as cover on the extended bench.

That title is like a super unfunny dad joke and Ashton?? I mean come on, obviously NRL 'journalism' is a joke in itself, they don't need to keep adding to it.

I love this side considering our options...

My concern though is:

WHY THE HELL IS DAVID MEAD EVEN IN THE RESERVES! I've heard he has a great attitude at training and is an experienced campaigner but his last performance warrants a no-nrl selection for 2017, have a big preseason and he can re-earn a chance. Yes Boyd, Blair and Roberts had poor games too but at least they have the runs on the board for us and can put in a near game winning performance every now and then, mead is simply there to be a solid and dependable back up and has failed miserably this year apart from 2-3 games at the start of the year

I think another poor showing from our left side defence could spell some changes.

Keep clutching at straws champ , your boy won't be seen thus season. Bar injuries of course

Can see Marshall and Nikorima changing before kick off. To me Nikorima offers much much more in attack as an impact player compared to Marshall. One of Nikorimas strengths is his speed. That's why he was so effective in 2015.

Let Marshall start this game and see how he goes. I think if Wayne really wants to persist with a back on the bench then Kodi offers more then Marshall does coming off the bench
Benji offers more than Kodi in all aspects of the game. If Bennett is serious about a premiership, then we will need to see a lot more of Benji and a hell of a lot less of Niko. Which is why I agree with you. Benji will start and I personally would dump Knik for Arrow.

Benji offers more than Kodi in all aspects of the game. If Bennett is serious about a premiership, then we will need to see a lot more of Benji and a hell of a lot less of Niko. Which is why I agree with you. Benji will start and I personally would dump Knik for Arrow.

We have a premiership winning half, a proven game winner and experienced rep player in benji Marshall. We're paying him peanuts so yeah I agree, let's use him while he's here and not just as a bench warmer. It's a waste of interchange and very stiff to leave arrow out for this clash. Knik can develop his craft in the pre season and have a crack from there.

Keep clutching at straws champ , your boy won't be seen thus season. Bar injuries of course

You have issues. Seriously. I dont have any boys in this team, even though i do know a couple.

I dont know if you have noticed or not, but even our coach is personally running our left side defence through drills now. If there was no issue, he wouldnt be trying to fix it up, champ.

I thought Arrow deserved a promotion after last week.

Shows what I know ha

You have issues. Seriously. I dont have any boys in this team, even though i do know a couple.

I dont know if you have noticed or not, but even our coach is personally running our left side defence through drills now. If there was no issue, he wouldnt be trying to fix it up, champ.

Ok sorry! Your man isn't going to replace moga. We all have issues , yours is a man crush on an average player.

Ok sorry! Your man isn't going to replace moga. We all have issues , yours is a man crush on an average player.

Only you do, seeing as you seem to be obsessed with him being " my man ". Maybe you have a touch of the green eyed monster about him. Certainley seems that way.

Never denied I feel he deserves a chance, our left side defence, especially moga and his dumb reads and constant rushing up puts us in trouble time after time. Hard to argue that he doesnt do it. Also hard to argue Tom, even with one stuffed shoulder, isnt a better defender. And like i said before, if Wayne wasnt concerned about our left side defence, he wouldnt be personally running them through drills. You are kidding yourself if you think he will keep picking the same blokes if they keep messing up now.

I'd also prefer to see players in the team where possible who have a desire to be a Broncos player. He had the chance to leave, to earn probably 5 times the money he was on and be in with a very good chance of playing for a team capable of winning a premiership with a future immortal and he stayed with us. Not that im criticising Moga for doing it, as i dont blame anyone for chasing the money, but the first chance he got he upped and left, despite the fact we resurrected his career.

And just for the record, Oatesy is my man crush in this squad as he is my current favourite player, closely followed by Arrow and Milf.

Last edited:
Only you do, seeing as you seem to be obsessed with him being " my man ". Maybe you have a touch of the green eyed monster about him. Certainley seems that way.

Never denied I feel he deserves a chance, our left side defence, especially moga and his dumb reads and constant rushing up puts us in trouble time after time. Hard to argue that he doesnt do it. Also hard to argue Tom, even with one stuffed shoulder, isnt a better defender. And like i said before, if Wayne wasnt concerned about our left side defence, he wouldnt be personally running them through drills. You are kidsing yourself if you think he will keep picking the same blokes if they keep messing up now.

I'd also prefer to see players in the team where possible who have a desire to be a Broncos player. He had the chance to leave, to earn probably 5 times the money he was on and be in with a very good chance of playing for a team capable of winning a premiership with a future immortal and he stayed with us. Not that im criticising Moga for doing it, as i dont blame anyone for chasing the money, but the first chance he got he upped and left, despite the fact we resurrected his career.

And just for the record, Oatesy is my man crush in this squad as he is my current favourite player, closely followed by Arrow and Milf.

Yeah ok

Broncos hire private charter flight to Townsville in preparation for crucial Cowboys clash
9c86d5fdcaabfd303eb6619828a902a3

ALL aboard the Wayne Plane.
The Broncos will jet into Townsville on Wednesday on a private charter flight they hope will give them a crucial advantage in the battle for the NRL premiership.
Brisbane will clash with North Queensland at 1300 SMILES Stadium on Thursday night in what is shaping up to be another explosive derby.
The Broncos will head straight to the airport after the game and fly back to Brisbane so they can slip into their own beds before 2am instead of staying in a hotel and heading home Friday.
PREPARED: How Oates buried his demons
ROUND 26: All the latest team news

09fa4e1564c0d54353e6cdfa073fa6bc

Wayne Bennett wants to give his players the best chance. Image: Annette Dew
The theory is the players will get a headstart on their preparations for the first week of the NRL finals in which the Broncos are likely to play an away game.
“This time of year we are really mindful (of the players’ preparation),” Broncos chief executive Paul White said.
“The ability to get them back on the night of the game will hopefully give us a real benefit in terms of rehab and preparation for the first week of the finals.”
In a piece of shrewd planning, Broncos commercial staff have booked 70 corporate supporters to travel with Wayne Bennett’s team to offset the cost of what could have been a $50,000 trip.
The NRL pays for team travel — usually 18 players plus support staff — and the Broncos have negotiated with the league to make their usual travel contribution.
The Broncos organised a similar trip for supporters to Auckland last year, which coincided with a terrible draw schedule and short turnarounds for the team during State of Origin.
LISTEN: The Monday Bunker crew reveal the truth behind Josh Dugan’s sensational axing on the weekend and who misses the top eight with the race to the finals almost run.
You can download League Central podcasts via iTunes.
“We’ve worked with the NRL to come up with this transport solution,” White said.
“It’s about player welfare and we also get the opportunity to take a large corporate group up there.
“If we had to go on normal commercial flights we might not have been able to take up the numbers we are taking up there.
“We have supporters in north Queensland and some people will travel to the game as well.
“Hopefully we can add to their atmosphere and put a bit into the Townsville economy while we’re up there.”
While Brisbane have secured a top-four finish, a win against the Cowboys would give them hope of finishing second and nabbing a home final in the first week.
They are guaranteed to play at Suncorp Stadium at some time during the finals series but must overcome season-ending injuries to hooker Andrew McCullough (knee) and prop Korbin Sims (broken arm) if they are going to snap an 11-year premiership drought.
“We are working towards a goal at the end of the season,” forward Matt Gillett said.
“A step forward is Thursday night and getting that right with the team we have at the moment.
“It’s about playing good footy and coming into the finals with a strong mindset.”
The Cowboys are hopeful of a crowd of 24,000 at the 25,000-capacity stadium despite the Thursday night scheduling setback.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h/news-story/965ed413dc17d03f1d404e810d05f565

If you had anything constructive to come back with you would have. Obviously, you dont.

Ive always thought and said at times, i think Moga has huge potential. He has a hell of a lot of room for improvement and if he does he will be one of the best centers going around. I asked you previously, and i dont think you answered me then, tell me what Moga has over our other left centers in his game. Apart from his meter making, i see nothing. Potentially, he has a lot, currently, imo, he has nothing apart from his meter making. I dont see him better in attack than Kahu or Opacic, i dont see him better in defence either, and im yet to see him dominate an elite center. Genuinley curious to see your thoughts.

I actually think Marshall offers more off the bench then nikorima for this team at this present time. Nikorima is dynamic off the bench yes, but what we need late or in the middle of these big games is composure. If we start poorly Marshall would be able to change the game by keeping us on track/settling the ship more then nikorima. Nikorima is dynamic off the bench and can create a try but he doesn't need to be on the bench for that, a fresh Marshall option would scare the opposition more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• john1420
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Payneinthehaas
  • Financeguy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dexter
  • IceWorks
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.