PRE-GAME Round 26 - Cowboys vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Marshall offers more off the bench then nikorima for this team at this present time. Nikorima is dynamic off the bench yes, but what we need late or in the middle of these big games is composure. If we start poorly Marshall would be able to change the game by keeping us on track/settling the ship more then nikorima. Nikorima is dynamic off the bench and can create a try but he doesn't need to be on the bench for that, a fresh Marshall option would scare the opposition more

Why can't we start with that composure and not be on the back foot?

We have a premiership winning half, a proven game winner and experienced rep player in benji Marshall. We're paying him peanuts so yeah I agree, let's use him while he's here and not just as a bench warmer. It's a waste of interchange and very stiff to leave arrow out for this clash. Knik can develop his craft in the pre season and have a crack from there.
Benji isn't going to get a fairytale premiership with the Tigers, it will have to be with us. I have said all season he is our ticket. Now is Benji's time.

If you had anything constructive to come back with you would have. Obviously, you dont.

Ive always thought and said at times, i think Moga has huge potential. He has a hell of a lot of room for improvement and if he does he will be one of the best centers going around. I asked you previously, and i dont think you answered me then, tell me what Moga has over our other left centers in his game. Apart from his meter making, i see nothing. Potentially, he has a lot, currently, imo, he has nothing apart from his meter making. I dont see him better in attack than Kahu or Opacic, i dont see him better in defence either, and im yet to see him dominate an elite center. Genuinley curious to see your thoughts.

I see him as a better attacking threat than both of those 2. Kahu is a great finisher but has never really exeled at center , can't agree about his defense being better either. Opacic is definitely the better defender , but similar to kahu attack wise. I just think moga's tackle busting ability and presence is perfect for milf , it can really worry the opposition . I admit he has deficiencies but so much upside. Thats what i think.

A halfback just needs to be serviceable in the 1st 30 minutes with their time in the final 50 mins, particularly in the finals. The forwards set the scene in the starting stages. Look at the game against the eels, it wasn't Moses or Norman blowing us off the park in those first 25 mins. It was the forwards running over the top of us for their massive winger to run over the arm grabbing mead. Marshall isn't the player he was, but he provides 3 things that can bring us a premiership if we use him right. His composure, his kicking game and his game awareness. Him playing 50 mins does not diminish any of these areas while keeping him fresher due to his slowing down/age.

Benji isn't going to get a fairytale premiership with the Tigers, it will have to be with us. I have said all season he is our ticket. Now is Benji's time.

Unfortunately i think him returning to the tigers is the actual fairy tale.

Opacic knows how to draw and pass. I remember when he came in for a busted Reed last season and everyone marvelled at how he was a clone of Reed. Reed was almost perfect at drawing and passing and was always seriously underrated on this forum. Moga doesn't even know how or when to pass. That being said it's probably too late to be swapping him out at this stage and I hope and trust Bennett knows what he os doing.

Unfortunately i think him returning to the tigers is the actual fairy tale.
They will go close to the spoon next year. They have Brookes and Reynolds so am not sure what role Benji will even play apart from injuries. Wish him all the best.

Let me give you a few finals scenarios:

Down 12-0 after 20 mins: would a fresh niko coming on settle us down and make us stick to the game plan

Up 12-0 after 20 mins: would a fresh niko slow the team down and keep it in perspective, keeping the pressure on with his kicking game

Match drawn: would a fresh niko stand up in a finals game and demand the ball to break the game open

Benji needs to stay off the at the start to avoid the bashing stages as he has slowed down, and it would give the team more confidence to know that he's there if they need him for any situation

The bench is an important weapon these days. People get stuck on this "he's better so he must start" thinking

Opacic knows how to draw and pass. I remember when he came in for a busted Reed last season and everyone marvelled at how he was a clone of Reed. Reed was almost perfect at drawing and passing and was always seriously underrated on this forum. Moga doesn't even know how or when to pass. That being said it's probably too late to be swapping him out at this stage and I hope and trust Bennett knows what he os doing.
I agree with all you say about opacic and reed. Both massively underrated by broncos fans in what they have brought to the team in the games they played. (Particularly reed, he was playing with one shoulder for the last 2 years and I feel he gets wrongly judged on those years-and even they were better then our next options at the time)

Moga isn't a great creator, but what positives he brings to the team now outweighs the negatives. But, so it should. We invested/persisted in half a year of mediocrity to get it. If other centres were afforded the same laxity/opportunity I would hope the pros outweighed the cons. He is playing great now and deserves his spot now though.

Down 12-0 after 20 mins: would a fresh niko coming on settle us down and make us stick to the game plan

Up 12-0 after 20 mins: would a fresh niko slow the team down and keep it in perspective, keeping the pressure on with his kicking game

Match drawn: would a fresh niko stand up in a finals game and demand the ball to break the game open

Benji needs to stay off the at the start to avoid the bashing stages as he has slowed down, and it would give the team more confidence to know that he's there if they need him for any situation

The bench is an important weapon these days. People get stuck on this "he's better so he must start" thinking
You make it sound like we should probably just turf Nikorima if he can't do any of those things.

I see him as a better attacking threat than both of those 2. Kahu is a great finisher but has never really exeled at center , can't agree about his defense being better either. Opacic is definitely the better defender , but similar to kahu attack wise. I just think moga's tackle busting ability and presence is perfect for milf , it can really worry the opposition . I admit he has deficiencies but so much upside. Thats what i think.

I think Toms attack is comfortably as good as Moga tbh. His strike rate is one in every 2 games in the Nrl for us, slightly better than Moga. Hard to judge a lot of Toms game in the NRL as he never really played without shoulder injuries. He also dominated the best center in the game injured. Moga has come close to doing that.

I actually think Marshall offers more off the bench then nikorima for this team at this present time. Nikorima is dynamic off the bench yes, but what we need late or in the middle of these big games is composure. If we start poorly Marshall would be able to change the game by keeping us on track/settling the ship more then nikorima. Nikorima is dynamic off the bench and can create a try but he doesn't need to be on the bench for that, a fresh Marshall option would scare the opposition more
I think the opposite. Bring on the more explosive player off the bench. Let the more talented/smarter/better player play halfback.

I agree with all you say about opacic and reed. Both massively underrated by broncos fans in what they have brought to the team in the games they played. (Particularly reed, he was playing with one shoulder for the last 2 years and I feel he gets wrongly judged on those years-and even they were better then our next options at the time)

Moga isn't a great creator, but what positives he brings to the team now outweighs the negatives. But, so it should. We invested/persisted in half a year of mediocrity to get it. If other centres were afforded the same laxity/opportunity I would hope the pros outweighed the cons. He is playing great now and deserves his spot now though.

You're bang on with the sentiment here about sticking with the unproven players we have. I'm a fan of both Pearson and Opacic and hate seeing them get put in and out of the side, especially after a bad game (more Pearson this year for that) and people feel vindicated when they are dropped. Give them a pre-season knowing they're in the side and they'll be better than 2/3rds of the comp in their positions inside a season.

I had my period of Reed-bashing and while yes he was carrying injuries, he should have put the team first and gotten properly fit before coming back. His career may still be alive had he done so

Last edited:
You make it sound like we should probably just turf Nikorima if he can't do any of those things.
I'm a knik fan. He does add doubt in the oppositions defensive line and can put a second rower into a hole very well with a nice short pass. He didn't lose us the game to the eels and has been good at halfback. 4 forwards on the bench would help our small pack but we have excelled with variety in attack (best attack in the nrl still btw fellas) with quick stepping small men so I think we shouldn't change that part

Yep was thinking the same. I did suggest turfing knik for this game and having arrow on the bench as well

Up 12-0 I don't think knik comes on at all. Wasted interchange.

Yep was thinking the same. I did suggest turfing knik for this game and having arrow on the bench as well
We still have the best attack in the nrl. Milf is playing his best footy for a year and a half. Niko didn't cost us 52 points. We don't need to reinvent our attack. We would just benefit from a calming influence option, our forward pack and defence is where we need to stand up

I think Toms attack is comfortably as good as Moga tbh. His strike rate is one in every 2 games in the Nrl for us, slightly better than Moga. Hard to judge a lot of Toms game in the NRL as he never really played without shoulder injuries. He also dominated the best center in the game injured. Moga has come close to doing that.

All i remember of opacic's tries was him finishing backline play's, not creating any. Moga also creates tries and finishes, i know he has bombed a few sitters but not as much as he has scored. I'd take moga over opacic any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.