Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic posting Compound! I wholeheartedly agree with MOST of what you said Sir. I do however disagree somewhat regarding the issue most people here seem to have in terms of recruitment. I don't think we need to recruit at this stage, but that is not saying that over the next 12 to 18 months a suitable recruitment or two may not be necessary (perhaps a big boppa as others have mentioned). I am confident that we HAVE the cattle already to push us deep into the finals even this season, on the 1 proviso. The players need to have faith in their ability and what Hook is trying to achieve in regard to gameplans. Ok, so over the past few weeks in particular things have gone astray. BUT, with the right mindset, and confidence in each other's ability, we can damn well give this competition a shake yet.

Hook is a very experienced coach and if he can achieve stakeholder buy-in within the team, I think we may very well see a vast improvement in both attitude AND performance very soon. I think supporters, if we all stick by the team, are in for a very pleasant surprise this coming game against the Raiders. Let's DO this!

Not sure if serious...

Hook has been fairly open since the Rabbitohs game which is good BUT words are cheap.

I like the fact he made a point of agreeing to multiple interviews and was happy to cop the criticism. What I want to see is for the players to accept Monday night was rock bottom and they're never going to be that bad EVER again.

I can't stress enough how important R13 is going to be.
Fixed it for ya... :winky:

To be fair to faithinhook, we've shown we can match it with the top sides at times but we can't sustain it. Whether that is a coaching issue or a mental one, I don't know.

As far as recruitment is concerned, if an elite player is on the market then just sign them ffs.

People talk about Folau, and while I'd love to get the bloke back in Broncos colours, I think that kind of money is better spent luring a top fullback or halve to Red Hill. On the other hand, there is no one on the market, so we would have to target a player under contract and try to make get a release, which I think is a pipe dream...

We have 2 clubs in the NRL with a wealth of players we could use. Penrith with 3 quality fullbacks and Canberra with a few too many halves.

Coote or Mansour from Penrith, Cornish or Milford from Canberra, and possibly a big boppa like TLL, a bit of time to get it all to gel together, and I think we could become very competitive.

But before any of this, we have to get mentally tougher and be able to consistently maintain concentration for 80 minutes on the field.

Hook has his work cut out for him, and he's doesn't have much room or time left, as he is rapidly losing the confidence of the fans, which will eventually reflect on the club management.

To be honest I would be AGAINST signing Folau unless it was with the intention of him playing fullback. I'd say with his stints in AFL and Rugby he would have added a few valuable skills to his game.

We are sorely lacking a top notch fullback and a half. Locke is another player you can add to your possible list of signings Porthoz.

Coote or Mansour from Penrith, Cornish or Milford from Canberra, and possibly a big boppa like TLL, a bit of time to get it all to gel together, and I think we could become very competitive.

Mansour is a pretty good winger and would like him to be poached by us but he is no fullback, the few times he played their for Penrith he struggled, similar deficiencies to Hoffman.
Coote at the right price could be a good buy, he does seem a bit fragile though.

After seeing his skills and ability to chime into the backline for the Waratahs I'm sure Folau would fit into fullback perfectly.. Would bring crowds back to I'm sure. . Something exciting to watch fora change would be awesome. . Having a player that brings the xfactor that could change a game. .Been a while!

To be honest I would be AGAINST signing Folau unless it was with the intention of him playing fullback. I'd say with his stints in AFL and Rugby he would have added a few valuable skills to his game.

We are sorely lacking a top notch fullback and a half. Locke is another player you can add to your possible list of signings Porthoz.
I don't rate Locke. He does have speed and is handy in second phase play, but he's horrible under the high ball, has big flaws in defence and his ball playing skills, be it passing or kicking are also pretty limited.
Don't get me wrong, with a bit of room he can be lethal as displayed last Monday, but in the NRL he generally won't find that many holes in the opposition line as he did against the Broncos...

Sounds like Izzy wants to stay in Sydney. If we've got the 750K we could spend it in worse ways though. I just don't trust him though. He is a very different guy to the one who played for us.

As previously stated, I'd take Mansour/Coote and Milford/Cornish over Folau any day of the week.

Sounds like Izzy wants to stay in Sydney. If we've got the 750K we could spend it in worse ways though. I just don't trust him though. He is a very different guy to the one who played for us.
Yeah I feel the same way, unless he would commit to a 4 year contract I would rather not sign him, he's too much of a money whore to pun a clubs hopes on.

That greedy sole selling cash cow should go play some other sport.

I am all for a free market and a players ability to earn money but to me he just appears to be ALL about the money.

Izzy at fullback would turn out to be like Inglis there IMO. He'd be an absolute gun...

Reliable? Could you have faith he'd see out his contract? Ummmmm....

The Broncos still have a standard, and a type of attitude, which is acceptable. Folau doesn't fit that, so I wouldn't want him. You'd always have to be planning for life after him, while having massive amounts of cap tied up with him. No thanks.

Re: New coach

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Pay good money for the most talented young players we can get our hands on until the following is possible. Write off a season if we have to, and give some young recruits some experience. Note here : recruits ! We don't have most of what I'm talking about right now.

There are very few elite coaches. Given our wealth and resources, we should spend whatever is required to get one.

Coaches are not counted under the cap.

Our hookers aren't very good, although I think Wallace is our best option.

A bit left field, but I want to throw this out there.

Every man has his price. And our accountants could be really creative with this.

I don't care to look up his contract situation because the package we "could" throw at him "could" be too hard to refuse.

He has no experience at all, but just about everybody says he will make an outstanding coach.

Throw the kitchen sink at -

Cameron Smith. Captain Coach with a front ended contract.

There I've said it. Let the pigeons loose.

For all the love the big 3 and Bellamy have for each other, at some point one of them is gonna fly the coup and then it will all come crashing down. I for one, would love us to be the ones to pull apart the foundations.

And finally, new owners of the Storm. Must be some uncertainty about the place. Heard that new pommy CEO of theirs talking about resigning Smith so his contract must at least need an extension currently. Strike while the iron is hot and we may even get a couple of quality years out of him on the field.

Oink !

Article today about this in the paper ... he is gonna cost best part of a million a year ... if we made him captain/coach perhaps a lot less is on the cap ... hmmmm

Oink !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Porthoz
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.