The Agendas Thread

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
Argus said:
I am a huge fan of Corey Parker. As another poster said he does the little things that fans don't notice but teammates and coaches appreciate. I understand why a lot of fans bag him as he doesn't pull off the big hits or one out runs that look flashy. That isn't his role in the team.

This is how I see his role:

eg. covers bad reads by others in defence, prevents offloads by assisting the first up tackler, doesn't go missing after a hit up, often provides a link between the forwards and backs, always chases kicks well, always gets onside at the ruck, doesn't rush up one out looking for a big hit and leaving a gap, doesn't give away stupid penalties, shows dicipline in everything he does, basically he is a reliable team player who can be counted on for a solid 80 minte effort each week.

Ditto.

A solid nothing.

In his on-days, he would run wide, draw defenders and off load.

Look at our results FFS.

A

Argus

BRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Ben Hannant has played in a winning origin series and gained a new contract. He has now decided to relax on the field, take it easy and avoid any chance of injury and bask in what he has achieved rather than continuing his good early season efforts.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
Argus said:
I am a huge fan of Corey Parker. As another poster said he does the little things that fans don't notice but teammates and coaches appreciate. I understand why a lot of fans bag him as he doesn't pull off the big hits or one out runs that look flashy. That isn't his role in the team.

This is how I see his role:

eg. covers bad reads by others in defence, prevents offloads by assisting the first up tackler, doesn't go missing after a hit up, often provides a link between the forwards and backs, always chases kicks well, always gets onside at the ruck, doesn't rush up one out looking for a big hit and leaving a gap, doesn't give away stupid penalties, shows dicipline in everything he does, basically he is a reliable team player who can be counted on for a solid 80 minte effort each week.

Ditto.

A solid nothing.

In his on-days, he would run wide, draw defenders and off load.

Look at our results FFS.

Meh, I think bennet knows more than you [icon_wink

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Argus said:
Ben Hannant has played in a winning origin series and gained a new contract. He has now decided to relax on the field, take it easy and avoid any chance of injury and bask in what he has achieved rather than continuing his good early season efforts.

Like Parker, he's a solid nothing - counting his pay cheques.

Clinton, Eastwood, Sims and Taylor at least are really standing up and being counted.

With Parker and Hannant in the team, we'll make the 8, then get slaughtered in our 1st finals match.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
rnabokov said:
Argus said:

Like Parker, he's a solid nothing.

Clinton, Eastwood, Sims and Taylor at least are really standing up and being counted.

With Parker and Hannant in the team, we'll make the 8, then get slaughtered in our 1st finals match.

Who do you suggest we replace them with?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
Argus said:

Bench Hannant, drop Parker, start Taylor - front row, Eastwood 2nd row, with Tunsa at lock.

I'd even consider putting Boyd at FB and Hunt in the back row, Moon and Hodges in the centres.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
Argus said:

Bench Hannant, drop Parker, start Taylor - front row, Eastwood 2nd row, with Tunsa at lock.

I'd even consider putting Boyd at FB and Hunt in the back row, Moon and Hodges in the centres.

Why move the best fullback in the game to the back row where he'll have less effect?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
Argus said:

Why move the best fullback in the game to the back row where he'll have less effect?

Because we ain't doin' much at the moment - and Hunt is no-where the best FB in the game - but is one of the best players in the game.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
[quote="Argus":3a6yyis8]Ben Hannant has played in a winning origin series and gained a new contract. He has now decided to relax on the field, take it easy and avoid any chance of injury and bask in what he has achieved rather than continuing his good early season efforts.

Because we ain't doin' much at the moment - and Hunt is no-where the best FB in the game - but is one of the best players in the game.[/quote:3a6yyis8]

lol, Yet he was selected over slater in both origin 2 and three, and been the aus fullback (when hes fit and can be seleceted) for the past few years.

C

Chumba

NYC Player
Mar 29, 2008
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
broncospwn said:
rnabokov said:
[quote="Argus":24nn5o7i]Ben Hannant has played in a winning origin series and gained a new contract. He has now decided to relax on the field, take it easy and avoid any chance of injury and bask in what he has achieved rather than continuing his good early season efforts.

Because we ain't doin' much at the moment - and Hunt is no-where the best FB in the game - but is one of the best players in the game.[/quote:24nn5o7i]

I see the merit in what you suggest, and as you say... we ain't doing much better at the moment with what we have out there as it is.

Parker for mine is hot and cold, not so much of one and an increasing amount of the other, while Hannant and co do seem to be able to get a head of steam up and make a hole, while Corey seems to be in slow-mo too much of the time. And after last week where in one passage of the game, he ran it up, lost the ball and seconds later gave away a penalty. Again a senior player letting the team down and not being kicked up the behind for it, had that been kenny or Taylor he'd have lost his spot over it. I say dump him for a week or two and see if he has the bottle to bounce back.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Let's add some more to the mix - all in good-hearted fun of course!

@Mister Wright @broncos4life - man crush on Andrew McCullough
@Coxy @Mr Fourex @ningnangnong @Ari Gold @Anonymous person - Wallace Haters Club
@GCBRONCO @Big Pete @ningnangnong - Scott Anderson is the worst
@Porthoz - Wallace Lovers Club
@Porthoz @rnabokov @Ari Gold - Gillett Lovers Club
@draggx - really wants us to sign a rugby player!
@Alec - thinks Sam Williams is the greatest of all time
@COMPOUND FRACTURE - closet Sharks supporter, masquerading as a Broncos fan
@Mr Fourex - wants Corey Norman's babies
@EVERYONE - thinks Maranta sucks

If anyone feels insulted that you were included, grow up! This is quite clearly a joke, so have some fun and come up with your own. :laugh:

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
WHERE THE **** IS THE SHAUN JOHNSON CLUB!!!????!!!!!?????!!!!????

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Not just any rugby player! Quade Cooper! However i'd settle for O'Connor tho.

you can also add myself and [MENTION=1764]Coxy[/MENTION] to a Ben Hunt lovers club, we've both backed him for ages as a couple of others have.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Damn straight I hate Anderson :laugh:

Can you add me to the I love Scott Minto club :thumbup1:

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Nice, been wondering where a thread like this is at.

I'll out myself as a fan of McCullough, Thaiday, B. Hunt & Hoffman.

McCullough has not kicked on like he was expected to in 2009 but he's still a quality talent who has a mile of time ahead of him. While some of the criticism is definitely justified, there are definitely times where people call him out on things that 75% of the competition are guilty of or exagerate nit-picks which aren't true. I've never agreed with dropping him completely but I definitely think Baptiste should have been given a better go from around 2011 on.

Thaiday's form has dropped off since he's been handed the captaincy but I don't think any of the current Broncos have leadership qualities either. Yes, there are times where he's let us down and I believe there have been games where he should have been started from the bench to tell him to start lifting his game but it's no where near as bad as what some let on. My favourite criticism is when he's called out for doing nothing and then it comes out he's made something like 16 runs for 130m+ and 40 tackles.

I was definitely in the camp that saw Ben Hunt as Lockyer's heir post 2011. Don't know if he'll have a great career in Rugby League but saw more in him as a natural halfback than Norman who I always thought was a bit too airy fairy. If injuries weren't as bad as they were last year, he should have been picked over Wallace.

I've always seen value in Hoffman and thought fans were being really unfair writing him off last year after his first patch of bad form. Unconvinced he should be our fullback long term but he's a Bronco for life in my book. Always thought Norman was going to be a short-term fix at the very best.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a critic of Gillett, Reed & Prince. I'm also bi-polar on Wallace.

Gillett is a good club player but that's where it ends with him. I didn't think he deserved to start let alone play the full 80 after a few rounds, especially given the way he was being utilised and feel he'd be better off aiming for 50-60 quality minutes instead. Am willing to show more patience in him this season with Hunt at half tho as he was finally getting some quality ball and making the most of it.

Members have mistaken my opinion on Reed as pure spite but honestly I just think the guy is a solid at best player who played out of his skin for one season because he didn't know how long his dream would last. I can live with him being in our starting squad until 2014-15 or so...but can't believe we've signed him until 2017!

I thought it was pretty clear by mid-season that Prince was nothing short of a liability for us and I still believe that. What I find funny is that most Broncos fans agree but still bag Hook out for saying he was going to have to earn his place from 25. It's nothing personal because he seems like a champion off the field but I just think his time has come and Hunt deserved his chance a lot sooner than he got it.

Wallace is a player I'm totally indifferent about. I don't think he's the worst ever Broncos halfback but by the same token I think he's pretty ordinary. I believe a change of club is exactly what he needs IMO.

Last edited:
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Some of the posts from 2008 in this thread are absolute classics!

The benefit of hindsight eh.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Maroon4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Shane Tronc
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.