OFFICIAL Flegler ***** off to the Dolphins

~800k is JFH or Junior Paulo type money and imo Flegler is not at that level so don't blame him for taking it but also relieved the Broncos didn't try and match it, especially with Haas and Carrigan in the team.

I think like @Big Pete mentioned earlier, the real result of losing Herbie and Flegler is what we do with their cap space.

A few takeaway points from me on both the Herbie and Flegs situation.

- I don't think the announcements prior to round 1 are a coincidence. Looks like DD and Ikin have told these guys they will have their future sorted prior to round one or we'll decide it for you. None of this bullshit taking us for a ride. Everyone future sorted pre round one so there's no distractions.

- while the media will try beat this up us Brisbane in crisis blah blah blah. This is just modern foooty under the salary cap. To me its probably a bit of cap rebalancing. We have two starting state of origin props already so we just need a few Corey Jensens around them. Regarding the argument of culture and not buying into what Kev is selling, have a look at the players Melbourne lost this season. Unless you're the Roosters you've just gotta accept you can't keep them all.

- Not sure what halves are off contract at the end of 24 but i wonder if we might keep a bit of this money Plus the reynolds 800k and throw 1 million + at a genuine halfback in a couple of years?

Definitely going to need some quality middle range forwards having lost Kennedy, Palasia, James, Fleggler and also TC over the 23,24 season. We absolutley cannot afford to just fill those gaps with kids.
Agree with all this, and it is why I hate Cobbo so much for what he did on that fucking podcast. As you say this is all what happens at every club but the media will use what Cobbo said to spin this in a negative way. In fact they will spin everything into that narrative. The CM must have a fucking shrine dedicated to the fucking halfwit in their offices.

Although it would have been nice to keep both players, you can’t blame them for taking the big money offers. My major issue with this whole thing is that the NRL allows players to sign with other clubs up to 18 months out from when they can actually play for them.

The whole NRL contract system is amateur hour.

Clearly they didn’t. They had beyond fair offers on the table. Can’t do much about greedy, desperate clubs that are trying to cannibalise us. Issue is that they took the two that were most convenient for us to give and in the process paid way overs for them. Dolphins have fucked themselves over cause they just spent 1.6ish million on 2 players that won’t fix there issues. Lucky the dolphins can be kept afloat by their leagues club or they would be another team who go broke in the SEQ region.

It might not seem like it but this is a win for the Broncos. They stuck to their guns kept the offer at market value and the dolphins went trigger happy AGAIN! We have money to spend and they just helped us rebalance our cap. Only better option was to have resigned them both at market value but I could see that forcing us to lose someone far more important than the two to our future.
It never should’ve even got to that stage. Both should’ve been locked down for years well before they were allowed to get offered a contract elsewhere. Same issue we had with Fifita. Bennett re-signed Haas for 5 years after 2 games of first grade. Flegler will eventually be a gun as well. Massive shame to lose him.

It never should’ve even got to that stage. Both should’ve been locked down for years well before they were allowed to get offered a contract elsewhere. Same issue we had with Fifita. Bennett re-signed Haas for 5 years after 2 games of first grade. Flegler will eventually be a gun as well. Massive shame to lose him.
Unfortunately players and player managers are smarter than to sign multi year deals early on in their career. Haas is an example of it. The reality is, the Dolphins entering the NRL has injected another $12.1mil into the player market where decent players can earn Sydney money without leaving Queensland.

And what would happen if Haas had turned into Karl Filiga 2.0? That contract with Haas was a massive risk and as it turns out, we've upgraded him anyway in the mean time, he isn't a bargain by any means. In fact, you could argue he is already overpaid.

Flegler may well end up a gun and I think he will too but regardless, unlike the Roosters, we need to balance out our cap like all other teams do. And despite what the media narrative might lead you to believe, we are still an attractive club for players to go to. Don't forget, neither Madden or Taupau were coming here until they were, no one knew of either of these until about 5 minutes before they were announced. Donuts and Ikin know what they are doing.

Body blow for sure, Herbie needs some explaining as he declined the Dolphins last year and stayed on a cheap salary. What changed?

flegs was looking awesome the one or two times I watched a full game last season, he is potentially a gun signing if the suspensions and bins are solved.. However the Broncs not spending more money on forward is an easy explanation for this one.

Wayne must be having an extra glass of wine with his Italian dinner this week, looks good for the Dolphins and bad for Brisbane. win win..

How about a cheeky 5 year offer from the Broncs for Katoa :)

The implications of this are kind of troubling for Broncos fans.

This is a big year for Willison. If he can get over his injuries and get some regular game time and miles in his legs towards the end of the season covering Origin/Injuries, he should be looking to lock up a bench spot next year with Flegs and Palasia leaving. It's his for the taking.

This is a big year for Willison. If he can get over his injuries and get some regular game time and miles in his legs towards the end of the season covering Origin/Injuries, he should be looking to lock up a bench spot next year with Flegs and Palasia leaving. It's his for the taking.
Certainly looking forward to seeing how he goes. I think he has filled out a fair bit more since his lase game. I am also interested to see how Logan Bayliss plays if given an opportunity

Body blow for sure, Herbie needs some explaining as he declined the Dolphins last year and stayed on a cheap salary. What changed?

flegs was looking awesome the one or two times I watched a full game last season, he is potentially a gun signing if the suspensions and bins are solved.. However the Broncs not spending more money on forward is an easy explanation for this one.

Wayne must be having an extra glass of wine with his Italian dinner this week, looks good for the Dolphins and bad for Brisbane. win win..

How about a cheeky 5 year offer from the Broncs for Katoa :)

The implications of this are kind of troubling for Broncos fans.
Maybe Herbie saw Walsh kill it at FB in the trial and realised he’s not getting a shot there for some time.

Again, same with Herbie, disappointed but not overly. There's a good player in Flegler if could channel his aggression a little better but at this stage he's too much of a loose cannon. Hopefully he kicks on as Qld will need him in the coming years.

I wonder who we're saving our cap for.

Is 800K a season fair compensation for having to listen to 'Put Your Fins Up!' 100 times a game? Questionable.

Sorry to lose Flegs, but not sorry we didn't try to resign him at that kind of money. It's been said already, but I'd one hundred percent be starting Jensen and getting Flegler to rip in off the bench this year. It's the best use of him in this team.

I don't think this goes far enough. We need to insert really really small print on every kid's development contract that says we own you and all of your subsidiary rights until the age of 35, recompensed at 10% of market value. They should be happy just to be playing for the Broncos, in all fairness.

Feels like he’s always injured. I hope he gets started and isn’t wiped out before he has a decent go

Is 800K a season fair compensation for having to listen to 'Put Your Fins Up!' 100 times a game? Questionable.

Sorry to lose Flegs, but not sorry we didn't try to resign him at that kind of money. It's been said already, but I'd one hundred percent be starting Jensen and getting Flegler to rip in off the bench this year. It's the best use of him in this team.

I don't think this goes far enough. We need to insert really really small print on every kid's development contract that says we own you and all of your subsidiary rights until the age of 35, recompensed at 10% of market value. They should be happy just to be playing for the Broncos, in all fairness.

That's not going to cut the mustard anymore, sadly. Players aren't taking unders to stay at Brisbane like the good ol' days, they're sniffing for the payday and leaving as soon as they find it. With Dearden fucking off north and numerous blokes taking the bank at Redcliffe, we aren't even THE place to be in QLD now.

The shine is off, and I'm not sure if it's even possible to bring it back, and Kev definitely won't be the one to do it.

That's not going to cut the mustard anymore, sadly. Players aren't taking unders to stay at Brisbane like the good ol' days, they're sniffing for the payday and leaving as soon as they find it. With Dearden fucking off north and numerous blokes taking the bank at Redcliffe, we aren't even THE place to be in QLD now.

The shine is off, and I'm not sure if it's even possible to bring it back, and Kev definitely won't be the one to do it.

you need to come into the present and stop living in the past.

even the best club of the last few years has been losing players fairly steadily.

there is only two clubs who seem immune to it Storm and Roosters, obviously depending on if you prefer boats or golf.

and even the Storm wobbled slightly when the Phins came in

Dearden was.pretty much cut after 2 or 3 bad games in a shit team. I don’t think he takes any blame for “fucking off”

Active Now

• Allo
  • Bronx48
  • RodF
  • vertigo
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • barker
  • Scorchie
  • Fatboy
  • Galah
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • winslow_wong
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • simplythebest
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.