PLAYER Payne Haas

We can still negotiate with Tino and if the deal is good enough we can sign Tino and surprise Haas’ manager on November 1 with a no thank you
Yes, if Payne and management were made aware it wasn’t their right, or a given he would be extended, I am sure ball would come back a tad to our court.

I don’t actually mind Haas going to open market. As his manager said, they have never tested his market value. It’s like a guy who gets in a serious relationship at a young age and grows to resent his partner because he always has the thought that he could do better.

If he tests the open market 1 of 2 things will happen - the broncos offer will be proven fair and he can accept it and stfu with all the whining or other respectable clubs will blow our offer out of the water and we will then have to admit we may have undervalued him.

Either, he stays by choice and stops all the looking over the neighbours fence or he leaves and we have plenty of cash to throw around.

The only condition will be that come November 1 the process needs to be quick and painless. We set a reasonable deadline (eg Jan 1) and we actively look for replacements between now and then.

If previous statements by players/managers are to go by:

"Preference is staying" = preference is leaving for cash but the new club will need to pay big time.

"Testing worth on the open market" = likely staying but incumbent club needs to pay big time.

So, I dunno, Schrodinger's Haas?

“I don’t see that Payne has an issue with the club, but the crux of the problem in the first place was Payne feeling his deal wasn’t fair, or reflective of his performances.

“He loves ‘Kevvie’ (coach Kevin Walters) and he loves the Brisbane Broncos, he loves their fans and everything about the club.

“I honestly believe it will be very hard to get him out of there, but he just wants to tick that last box around his value.

“We just want transparency on his true value and Payne employs me, so he will make the final decision.

“He hasn’t had the chance to test his value, so we want to make sure his deal is fair on the open market and if it is, he will never complain in the future.”

“If I get an offer from the Broncos I can’t refuse, then we would definitely sign before November 1, but right now it’s in his best interests to wait until November 1.

“For the moment, Payne is committed to Brisbane … his heart and soul is with them.”

These parts speak volumes to me. He absolutely has an idea of the money he can command elsewhere. If he loves the club so much then he would be happy to take unders to stay. I don't blame him if he wants to chase the money but don't drag it out and don't give us the sob story that "oh he just wants to make sure his deal is fair". **** off with that shit.

Best case, he is using this to drive up the Broncos offer. Which - if he wants to win a premiership - is actually counterproductive to putting the best possible team around him to actually achieve that.

Worst case, he already knows out the door but will drag this whole thing out as long as possible and when the music stops we will be the club without a chair. We will miss him AND the chance at getting a half decent replacement for next year.

Either way this will have a negative effect on the club in the long term. If he really wanted to stay, he would have signed the deal in front of him. The fact he hasn't means without a doubt there's enough money on the table from other clubs to lure him away - they just can't officially offer it until November.

These parts speak volumes to me. He absolutely has an idea of the money he can command elsewhere. If he loves the club so much then he would be happy to take unders to stay. I don't blame him if he wants to chase the money but don't drag it out and don't give us the sob story that "oh he just wants to make sure his deal is fair". **** off with that shit.

Best case, he is using this to drive up the Broncos offer. Which - if he wants to win a premiership - is actually counterproductive to putting the best possible team around him to actually achieve that.

Worst case, he already knows out the door but will drag this whole thing out as long as possible and when the music stops we will be the club without a chair. We will miss him AND the chance at getting a half decent replacement for next year.

Either way this will have a negative effect on the club in the long term. If he really wanted to stay, he would have signed the deal in front of him. The fact he hasn't means without a doubt there's enough money on the table from other clubs to lure him away - they just can't officially offer it until November.
If the club offered him 1m and won't budge, he's absolutely right to reject it and go to market to either get a fair deal, or leverage those offers to get the club to budge. He's worth more than that under the increased salary cap.

If I was his manager I'd advise him to do exactly the same thing. Under the new salary cap, his real value is probably close to 1.25 but I think he'll settle for 1.1m or 1.15m which is what someone like Tino is actually contracted for in 2025 which Haas will be signing for. JFH and Addin Fonua Blake would also be on the 1.1m with the increased cap.

Haas has every right to chase market value which 1m isn't. The club has every right to lowball. I hope they find an agreement in the middle of those two offers.

1.2 seems fair for everyone and I’d be surprised if the Broncs haven’t already said that. This is a million in the old money.

1.2 seems fair for everyone and I’d be surprised if the Broncs haven’t already said that. This is a million in the old money.
The reports I've read is they've offered him 3m for 3 years. If they've offered him 1.2 and he's going to market it's a douche move, if they've offered 1m he's right to go to market.

The reports I've read is they've offered him 3m for 3 years. If they've offered him 1.2 and he's going to market it's a douche move, if they've offered 1m he's right to go to market.

It’s well documented how I feel about media speculation and that figure would be speculation.

if that's the case, I reckon you neg him to 1.1 because we good.

But we can't have player options.

if thats the case, I reckon you neg him to 1.1 because we good.
1.1 would be really good business under the new cap IMO. I'd be super happy with 3 years 3.3m, even 3.5m at a stretch.

I’d love for the club to say right, this is as far as we are going to pay Payne I.e 1.2m. Put it on the table for his manager, say you’ve got x amount of time to accept otherwise we will put Paynes money to Tino (obviously reduce it a little if we go as high as 1.2m for Payne). I don’t think he will get much more then 1.2m on the open market. At least not at a top 8 side.
Paynes manager did say something along the line of if the broncos come to the table with an offer we we can’t say no to then we will sign before November 1. I also read somewhere that they have another meeting on Friday (assumed next Friday?) so I still think it could get done before nov 1.

1.1 would be really good business under the new cap IMO. I'd be super happy with 3 years 3.3m, even 3.5m at a stretch.
My concern is the big Walsh upgrade that will come eventually, not sure if it effects that, hard to workout because we don't have the books to look at.

My concern is the big Walsh upgrade that will come eventually, not sure if it effects that, hard to workout because we don't have the books to look at.
Walshy is a problem for next year IMO. Reyno will take less money to stay an extra year, and surely losing Herbie and Flegler gives us money to upgrade Mam and Walsh. It's not like Haas is getting a monster upgrade, he's on 850 next year so even 1.2m is just 350k, I reckon Reyno will take a paycut of 350k and play 1 more year for 400k with a handshake for a well paid coaching role straight after retirement.

Walshy is a problem for next year IMO. Reyno will take less money to stay an extra year, and surely losing Herbie and Flegler gives us money to upgrade Mam and Walsh. It's not like Haas is getting a monster upgrade, he's on 850 next year so even 1.2m is just 350k, I reckon Reyno will take a paycut of 350k and play 1 more year for 400k with a handshake for a well paid coaching role straight after retirement.
I think the resigning of Arthars and Mariner has looked like very good business in hindsight, as long as we commit to using one of them in the backline shuffle when Herbie goes.

I’d say Staggs will also be offered a reduced deal or leave too as Arthars and Mariner will likely get those spots and hope Leota comes on too.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Robboi_321
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
  • LittleDavey
  • something
  • Wolfie
  • mrslong
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Alec
  • Justwin
  • Bish
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • DrGee
  • Brocko
... and 53 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.