10 R. Cotter 0 0 0 0 0 0 37 4 2 16 0 0 0m 102m 1 0
11 C. Hess 0 0 0 0 0 1 21 1 1 6 0 0 0m 26m 0 1
12 J. Nanai 2 8 0 1 2 0 26 6 2 6 0 0 0m 25m 0 0
13 J. Taumalolo 0 0 0 0 4 0 19 3 2 15 0 0 0m 171m 1 0
14 J. Granville 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 0 0 8 1 0 0m 33m 0 0
15 G. Neame 0 0 0 0 0 0 17 4 0 11 0 0 0m 77m 0 0
16 J. Taunoa-Brown 0 0 0 0 0 0 16 1 0 5 0 0 0m 40m 0 0
17 J. Tamou 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

We got over the tryline 9 times last night. More impressed with last night's win then I was Penrith. We ambushed Penrith, cowboys were ready for us and we didn't have the rub of the green like them, alot of players didn't have their best nights, yet hear we are with dominant win

What year are you living in Fitzy? The shoulder charge has been illegal for 10 years because the ramifications are horrendous. Drinkwater committing an illegal action, came off his feet to do it and broke a player's jaw.

He's lucky it's only 3-4 weeks.
I’d say I would be one of the youngest people on here this isn’t me being old fashioned this is me saying that is not a 3-4 week tackle. Corey brought the force required to break the jaw I can’t see a reasonable way how the broken jaw can be put solely on Drinkwater. The outcome sucks but we can’t be handing out 4 week suspensions for that. Like I said if that happened in the middle of the field and there was no broken jaw there is every chance the ref doesn’t pick it up let alone a suspension. To suggest someone with zero record gets 3-4 weeks for their first offence in that nature is shocking. 1-2 is completely acceptable in my eyes for this unless the NRL consistently inflates suspensions of all kinds to align with the fact the NRL is now being held liable for life long effects on the body.

I’d say I would be one of the youngest people on here this isn’t me being old fashioned this is me saying that is not a 3-4 week tackle. Corey brought the force required to break the jaw I can’t see a reasonable way how the broken jaw can be put solely on Drinkwater. The outcome sucks but we can’t be handing out 4 week suspensions for that. Like I said if that happened in the middle of the field and there was no broken jaw there is every chance the ref doesn’t pick it up let alone a suspension. To suggest someone with zero record gets 3-4 weeks for their first offence in that nature is shocking. 1-2 is completely acceptable in my eyes for this unless the NRL consistently inflates suspensions of all kinds to align with the fact the NRL is now being held liable for life long effects on the body.
Because it's an illegal action. By your argument Drinkwater could have stuck his elbow out and it would still be Corey's fault because it was Corey who brought the force.

Drinkwater could have attempted a legitimate tackle, he didn't because he knew that wouldn't stop him so he resorted to the one tackle he could make and it resulted in a broken jaw. If you roll the dice, you suffer the consequences.

Well since we are on a tangent of origin, Corey being out now for 8 weeks or so means he probably won’t have long enough to put an origin claim in even though he should be first winger picked.

Also, why is there always talk about non-eligible players being made available for origin? It isn’t like the games lack in quality and miss out by not having inferior players from other countries Australia always bears anyway. Would QLD really benefit by having JT2 over Carrigan? Would origin benefit? Would anyone benefit from say NAS / Hughes / Mulitalo, etc? I just can’t see the need for it.

Because it's an illegal action. By your argument Drinkwater could have stuck his elbow out and it would still be Corey's fault because it was Corey who brought the force.

Drinkwater could have attempted a legitimate tackle, he didn't because he knew that wouldn't stop him so he resorted to the one tackle he could make and it resulted in a broken jaw. If you roll the dice, you suffer the consequences.
No it’s not Corey’s fault it’s just Corey’s force is what turned that from a high tackle into an 8 week stint on the bench and now Drinkwaters 4 week stint on the bench. It is entirely Drinkwater fault that Corey was put in a position where he could break his jaw but Drinkwater himself did not produce a tackle that was capable of breaking his jaw without other substantial forces and factors. As such a 3-4 week suspension is a joke. I’m not usually this impartial my reasoning behind this isn’t some unconfessed love for drinky and the cows. I am actually quite disappointed he chose to get himself and Corey in that position rather than concede he had been beaten and misread the play. But I don’t think that is a 3-4 week tackle when I genuinely believe it would have gone no further than the bin if there was no injury. It is a very low grade tackle that has a more disastrous outcome than most high grade tackles which is the pickle. He isn’t in a position where a low grade tackle can turn into a 3-4 week suspension cause some unfortunate change of movements and speed of Corey really turned that poor choice tackle into this huge issue we have now. I am very against injury for low grade tackles inflating the suspension that significantly but honestly I don’t care enough to keep arguing I just find it very ironic that heaps of you are trying to preach the exact thing you were so against when it was patty getting suspended for a way worse tackle.

From Fox:

Newsflash - the bloke on the right, smacking poor Corey across the face, IS NOT one of the two who will be sitting out. So that effort is okay, apparently, according to the on field ref, the bunker, and now the match Review Committee. I look forward to similar tackles being consistently overlooked all year, not.

The administration is a joke, honestly. Is that not clear illegal contact with the head? Aren't we so worried about head damage etc?? Fuckwits.

No it’s not Corey’s fault it’s just Corey’s force is what turned that from a high tackle into an 8 week stint on the bench and now Drinkwaters 4 week stint on the bench. It is entirely Drinkwater fault that Corey was put in a position where he could break his jaw but Drinkwater himself did not produce a tackle that was capable of breaking his jaw without other substantial forces and factors. As such a 3-4 week suspension is a joke. I’m not usually this impartial my reasoning behind this isn’t some unconfessed love for drinky and the cows. I am actually quite disappointed he chose to get himself and Corey in that position rather than concede he had been beaten and misread the play. But I don’t think that is a 3-4 week tackle when I genuinely believe it would have gone no further than the bin if there was no injury. It is a very low grade tackle that has a more disastrous outcome than most high grade tackles which is the pickle. He isn’t in a position where a low grade tackle can turn into a 3-4 week suspension cause some unfortunate change of movements and speed of Corey really turned that poor choice tackle into this huge issue we have now. I am very against injury for low grade tackles inflating the suspension that significantly but honestly I don’t care enough to keep arguing I just find it very ironic that heaps of you are trying to preach the exact thing you were so against when it was patty getting suspended for a way worse tackle.

Mate this is not the argument you think it is. If I jump, leading with the knee, and take someone's head off because they were steaming through for the ball then I expect to have an early shower and miss a few weeks at absolute best. The force which the attacking player is coming in with is completely irrelevant to how I must effect a tackle. It doesn't matter if it's a 70kg player or a 117kg player. At full speed or walking slowly. Jinking and ducking or straight up. None of that matters - as the tackler the onus is on me to tackle the attacking player in a legal manner.

Look at the photo in my post above and tell me that's not a clear 3 weeks on the sideline, with a straight face. Eyes shut, left the ground so had no control, no legitimate effort to wrap the arms...the broken jaw aside, he's lucky he was allowed back after 10 minutes. If say a Flegler or a TPJ did that exact tackle to a Cleary or a Mitch Moses, you tell me how long you think he'd get.

Mate this is not the argument you think it is. If I jump, leading with the knee, and take someone's head off because they were steaming through for the ball then I expect to have an early shower and miss a few weeks at absolute best. The force which the attacking player is coming in with is completely irrelevant to how I must effect a tackle. It doesn't matter if it's a 70kg player or a 117kg player. At full speed or walking slowly. Jinking and ducking or straight up. None of that matters - as the tackler the onus is on me to tackle the attacking player in a legal manner.

Look at the photo in my post above and tell me that's not a clear 3 weeks on the sideline, with a straight face. Eyes shut, left the ground so had no control, no legitimate effort to wrap the arms...the broken jaw aside, he's lucky he was allowed back after 10 minutes. If say a Flegler or a TPJ did that exact tackle to a Cleary or a Mitch Moses, you tell me how long you think he'd get.
Yeah the onus is on the tackler but if they are walking that doesn’t break a jaw does it. If they are walking that doesn’t get a suspension so it is the mrc’s duty to take into account what grade of a tackle that is without taking into account the outcome and it is a low grade tackle as it is a low force contact with the head. You lot are all pressed cause Corey broke his jaw and the only reason he broke his jaw was cause of the force he brought to the tackle not drinkwater as such he cannot be punished and should not be punished as a result of the outcome if he has minimal force and balance to even perform a tackle of the magnitude to break a jaw severely enough to leave a bloke out for 8 weeks. It wasn’t that sort of tackle so yes it very well is relevant.

Wade Graham ran full force lined up Moale last week with a no wrap shoulder charge that was 10 times worse than Drinkwater and no injury has meant we are punishing them the same for similar offences with far different severity of shots put on. Not a single one of you would choose to be tackled by Wade like that over Drinkwater if you got to choose how fast you were coming in. Poor decision but late movement meant Drinkwater had halted most of his movement and was off balance that tackle alone cannot and will not break anyone’s jaw so to insinuate a low force high tackle shoulder charge in that sort of nature ending up as 3-4 weeks solely comes down to the result of the tackle and in my opinion that is completely and utterly wrong and the lot of you had the same opinion a few months ago when it was one of our own so I don’t want hear it. Either you were all talking porkies before or you are just so biased you will say whatever works in our favour. Not to mention until now your recent history has actually meant something to the mrc a first offence tackle that couldn’t have broken a jaw without significant force coming into the shoulder should not be getting 3-4 weeks EVER. There would be a riot in here if Walsh had to make a tackle like that and got 3-4 weeks, a RIOT.

Anyway time to move on it’s clear we don’t and won’t have aligned visions on that tackle but it’s just about time you lot stop playing victim and wake up to some of your hypocrisy cause some of you carried on big time with Pat (way worse tackle) and are being immense hypocrites now that it has happened against us.

Yeah the onus is on the tackler but if they are walking that doesn’t break a jaw does it. If they are walking that doesn’t get a suspension so it is the mrc’s duty to take into account what grade of a tackle that is without taking into account the outcome and it is a low grade tackle as it is a low force contact with the head. You lot are all pressed cause Corey broke his jaw and the only reason he broke his jaw was cause of the force he brought to the tackle not drinkwater as such he cannot be punished and should not be punished as a result of the outcome if he has minimal force and balance to even perform a tackle of the magnitude to break a jaw severely enough to leave a bloke out for 8 weeks. It wasn’t that sort of tackle so yes it very well is relevant.

Wade Graham ran full force lined up Moale last week with a no wrap shoulder charge that was 10 times worse than Drinkwater and no injury has meant we are punishing them the same for similar style tackles with far different severity of shots put on. Not a single one of you would choose to be tackled by Wade like that over Drinkwater if you got to choose how fast you were coming in. Poor decision but late movement meant Drinkwater had halted most of his movement and was off balance that tackle alone cannot and will not break anyone’s jaw so to insinuate a low force high tackle shoulder charge in that sort of nature ending up as 3-4 weeks solely comes down to the result of the tackle and in my opinion that is completely and utterly wrong and the lot of you had the same opinion a few months ago when it was one of our own so I don’t want hear it. Either you were all talking porkies before or you are just so biased you will say whatever works in our favour. Not to mention until now your recent history has actually meant something to the mrc a first offence tackle that couldn’t have broken a jaw without significant force coming into the shoulder should not be getting 3-4 weeks EVER. There would be a riot in here if Walsh had to make a tackle like that and got 3-4 weeks a RIOT.
You seem to be missing the point, deliberately or not. No-one is fixated on the injury outcome except you. Drinkwater shoulder charged Corey's face. If Corey was walking or hell, even stationary, absolutely Drinkwater is still binned and still sits out a few weeks for it. Shoulder charges have been illegal for years now, everyone knows that. It's that simple.

Now, I don't fully agree with a blanket ban on shoulder charges either, executed legally they were and have always been fine, but them's the rules. It's a high risk move that regularly goes wrong - just like this one did. Too many were going wrong - like this - so tougher rules were brought in to be more of a deterrent. I'm sure you know all this, you're a smart bloke who clearly knows the game.

I was critical of the ban on Pat because the NRL unfairly beefed up his penalty for that one, specific incident. Not just because of the damage to Hastings but as a warning to other players. And they were open about this, they said it, this is not a 'conspiracy theory'. There was another hip drop just as bad - which did not result in injury - that same weekend which completely escaped punishment IIRC. I believe it's the inconsistency and the "making an example of" which most of us were up in arms about - not that Pat got banned. I think we would all have accepted what was the 'usual' penalty for a hip drop at that time, but no, Patty got special treatment and from memory something like double the time anyone else got for one - either before OR since! Let's not pretend that situation is in any way the same as this - a very straightforward breaking of a long-standing rule with plenty of prior examples.

You didn't answer, either - if say a Flegler or a TPJ did Drinkwater's exact tackle on a Cleary or a Mitch Moses, how long do you think he'd get?

You seem to be missing the point, deliberately or not. No-one is fixated on the injury outcome except you. Drinkwater shoulder charged Corey's face. If Corey was walking or hell, even stationary, absolutely Drinkwater is still binned and still sits out a few weeks for it. Shoulder charges have been illegal for years now, everyone knows that. It's that simple.

Now, I don't fully agree with a blanket ban on shoulder charges either, executed legally they were and have always been fine, but them's the rules. It's a high risk move that regularly goes wrong - just like this one did. Too many were going wrong - like this - so tougher rules were brought in to be more of a deterrent. I'm sure you know all this, you're a smart bloke who clearly knows the game.

I was critical of the ban on Pat because the NRL unfairly beefed up his penalty for that one, specific incident. Not just because of the damage to Hastings but as a warning to other players. And they were open about this, they said it, this is not a 'conspiracy theory'. There was another hip drop just as bad - which did not result in injury - that same weekend which completely escaped punishment IIRC. I believe it's the inconsistency and the "making an example of" which most of us were up in arms about - not that Pat got banned. I think we would all have accepted what was the 'usual' penalty for a hip drop at that time, but no, Patty got special treatment and from memory something like double the time anyone else got for one - either before OR since! Let's not pretend that situation is in any way the same as this - a very straightforward breaking of a long-standing rule with plenty of prior examples.

You didn't answer, either - if say a Flegler or a TPJ did Drinkwater's exact tackle on a Cleary or a Mitch Moses, how long do you think he'd get?
By your logic we are expecting a similar suspension for SOS. Late, highish and absolutely no attempt at providing arms. If it isn’t solely about the outcome of the tackle then he has dished up a tackle of similar types with substantially greater force. You lot are putting plenty of mayo in drinkwaters tackle cause of the result it was not a high grade tackle on any fucken planet. Changed directions and he copped him high I would even back the cows to be able to prove he had enough motion in his left arm to demonstrate a genuine attempt at trying to wrap. Unfortunate tackle gone wrong in a change of movement that is being judged like it is horrendous it is absolutely not a horrendous tackle and far worse have gone unpunished let alone a 3-4 week suspension for a first time offence.

As for Flegs and TPJ the chances they have low force contact to start with is zilch and secondly they have a history with these tackles a 3-4 week suspension for that with a history would be very fair regardless of the result of a broken jaw but that is not a 3-4 week tackle if Corey Oates didn’t break his jaw you know it and I know it whether you will admit it is another thing. If you want to think it is rightfully a 3-4 week tackle because he broke his jaw that is another issue and very acceptable opinion (something I hope the nrl don’t plan on doing) but that tackle on its own with no history is not a 3-4 week tackle and you know it. It can’t be. That’s about as little force a tackle of that nature could have. That’s a fine and some carry over points on merit and without the injury he probably wouldn’t even be facing that so it is 100% correct so I think without a doubt Drinkwater is very unlucky cause the chances that sort of tackle breaks his jaw is nearly impossible without the change of angle and speed Corey runs at. So if without the broken jaw he doesn’t get suspended or anywhere near close to that 3-4 week suspension explain to me how Scott Drinkwater isn’t unlucky cause that is not a 3-4 week shoulder charge and the high contact is not of a suspendabke nature so where is the 3-4 weeks coming from exactly other than the outcome having a significant impact over the way people are viewing that tackle.

It is illegal to hit a player high. It is illegal to shoulder charge and he did both. The shoulder charge has been outlawed for ages this isn’t some new rule they have made up.

Everything else you have said is just plain wrong and irrelevant. There is no real way to even argue against it.

By your logic we are expecting a similar suspension for SOS. Late, highish and absolutely no attempt at providing arms. If it isn’t solely about the outcome of the tackle then he has dished up a tackle of similar types with substantially greater force. You lot are putting plenty of mayo in drinkwaters tackle cause of the result it was not a high grade tackle on any fucken planet. Changed directions and he copped him high I would even back the cows to be able to prove he had enough motion in his left arm to demonstrate a genuine attempt at trying to wrap. Unfortunate tackle gone wrong in a change of movement that is being judged like it is horrendous it is absolutely not a horrendous tackle and far worse have gone unpunished let alone a 3-4 week suspension for a first time offence.

As for Flegs and TPJ the chances they have low force contact to start with is zilch and secondly they have a history with these tackles a 3-4 week suspension for that with a history would be very fair regardless of the result of a broken jaw but that is not a 3-4 week tackle if Corey Oates didn’t break his jaw you know it and I know it whether you will admit it is another thing. If you want to think it is rightfully a 3-4 week tackle because he broke his jaw that is another issue and very acceptable opinion (something I hope the nrl don’t plan on doing) but that tackle on its own with no history is not a 3-4 week tackle and you know it. It can’t be. That’s about as little force a tackle of that nature could have. That’s a fine and some carry over points on merit and without the injury he probably wouldn’t even be facing that so it is 100% correct so I think without a doubt Drinkwater is very unlucky cause the chances that sort of tackle breaks his jaw is nearly impossible without the change of angle and speed Corey runs at. So if without the broken jaw he doesn’t get suspended or anywhere near close to that 3-4 week suspension explain to me how Scott Drinkwater isn’t unlucky cause that is not a 3-4 week shoulder charge and the high contact is not of a suspendabke nature so where is the 3-4 weeks coming from exactly other than the outcome having a significant impact over the way people are viewing that tackle.
I know that independent thinking is commendable and all that but sometimes when everyone says left and you are the only one saying right it isn’t enlightenment it is stupidity.

Well since we are on a tangent of origin, Corey being out now for 8 weeks or so means he probably won’t have long enough to put an origin claim in even though he should be first winger picked.

Also, why is there always talk about non-eligible players being made available for origin? It isn’t like the games lack in quality and miss out by not having inferior players from other countries Australia always bears anyway. Would QLD really benefit by having JT2 over Carrigan? Would origin benefit? Would anyone benefit from say NAS / Hughes / Mulitalo, etc? I just can’t see the need for it.
Speaking of origin eligibility...

Haas gets in the way padding stats when we are in attacking 20m, get him running angles on an edge ffs.
I find he has improved a lot on his runs. He is finding his front far faster now. A lot of the 20m issues have been poor coordination and him receiving the ball out of nowhere.
Honestly disappointed in Staggs. Hardly see him take any hit ups and doesn’t really inject himself in to the game.
Not watching close enough.
Was at the game. One of the worst ref performances I've ever seen. Definitely cowboys got the rub of the green but he also gave us some baffling penalties that were obviously square ups. There was one where I saw him touch his ear piece, obviously trying to listen, and then he gave us a penalty for the cowboys holding on yet it was the quickest ptb I'd seen from our end. Those amazing defensive sets where they pinned us in our end, the cowboys players RIGHT beside him were leaving before the player even got to their bloody feet. The 3 strip calls were fuvked too, no onus on the ball carrier whatsoever. Now if the hiku knock ons weren't knock ons fine, but they better be fucking consistent with that, you just know they won't be when we do it...
The dropped ball/strip calls have been annoying me too. Though I think Staggs was offside on the penalty where Holmes ran and Reynolds hit the ball out.
You saw the difference on a kick chase.

Ezra comes from behind Staggs, giving it everything he has to get to the ball.....Ezra almost scores

Meanwhile Staggs is jogging in the background.....the lazy ****.
Staggs makes tons of kick chase tackles. He may have been offside or backing up Ezra.
Yeah I'm off Staggs. He's a lazy ****.
He looks like an absolute plodder with ball in hand, can't believe we're losing Herbie.
Was this a joke?
The negative views on here about Staggs are a bit over the top. His defence was excellent and he was error free. You can't compare him to the other side of the field where all our attacking flare went.

Herbie is good but come on a huge percentage of this place bagged the hell out of him until the media started lighting him up. He will be a huge loss but it has nothing to do with Staggs who signed two years ago. Herbie could have signed for more years but wanted to prove himself and get his preference in position and more money. He has left on his own accord. He will never be as good a fullback as Walsh period.

I have no issue with Staggs, my opinion is stop listening to Fox talking points and understand that a centre does not determine how much pill he gets and I don't need him doing hit ups every set just to get Ennis/Parker of his back. He completely busted Holmes with strong defence by the end of that game, give him some credit that he may be doing exactly what the coach and team need from him.
Thanks, mate. Saved me a long post. Staggs is doing his job helping protect Reynolds in defense. I'm glad you pointed out the Fox/media talking points. It's pretty easy to get swayed by some of that bla bla. When the ball goes left all the time, what do people expect him to do? He's the angel on Reynolds' shoulder in defense right now. He and Riki are definitely working hard to protect our vital 7.

Active Now

• kiwi2
  • Justwin
  • mieko
  • Organix
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Strop
  • Bish
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • kman
  • Santa
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.