Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

look, id take a coach who can get most of our players to produce 50% of their ability every game, we dont need a team full of Worldbeaters to be a regular finals team.

Then you can get real targeted with your cap, a bit like Newcastle did (though not quite the same as us but for illustrative purposes) when they decided to allocate the highest amounts to the spine they wanted (Klemmer, Pearce, Ponga)....

But....who am i kidding, this is Brisbane right...?

By providing some semblance of structure and staying OUT of the media. He doesn't have to answer every question he is asked and he doesn't need to provide more detail than needed. He also needs to work at getting things done and not provide information he doesn't know.

He cockily said the team would keep Fifita a year ago, well here we are. What the heck went wrong there? He had Dearden waiting in the wings who went really well considering he had been out for a year last week, yet he stuck with two hopelessly not working halves, one he bought into the club and trumpeted as a key signing and then made him a co-captain.

All of this has been covered before. He needed to bite his tongue, instil the foundations first and then introduce the new age ideas. Even in the first two rounds, Staggs won one game for the club and Fifita the other, there wasn't much semblance of a structure even then, though they did look better than last year, that is true.
I really think he couldn't win in any situation. He says nothing, the media roasts him as being scared, not having answers, etc.
He fronts up and he is made to look stupid, he's making excuses etc.
It's just a game to the media. He's young and doesn't have the authority and presence of Bennett, Stuart etc.

The Broncos had structure until they were completely rolled by the 6-again calls very very early in the first match after a restart that saw them going from playing the Titans (a young, struggling team) to the Eels (the chosen team of the NRL this season) that pumped them last time. They lost faith and were obviously not training in the corona pause. That game was followed by the defending premiers, a team that has played together for years and were also given early penalties that completely broke the spirit of the young team. Then Darius and Milford gave up and played silly buggers and the young squad floundered.

In hindsight it's very easy to say he should have done this or that. I'm also sure he was confident that Fifi would stay, because he ALMOST DID despite being offered absolutely stupid money. I'm pretty sure if he came out and said something like "well that's David's decision" the media would have turned it to "Seibold not confident Fifi will stay".

I'm taking a step back and thinking about how I would feel and act, were in Seibold's shoes, with no real experience under the blowtorch and with a young talented squad who are struggling through injury, playing out of position, not having good leadership from those that should be stepping up and also being peppered by "supporters" and the media. As if Seibold hasn't advised against going on social media. As if he hasn't begged for Milf and Boyd to step up. I would struggle. I would try my best and I would also look a little lost as to where the answer lies. I don't think he expected to be undermined by Boyd, Milford and possibly Glenn from the start. I think he thought he was coming to a club of professional athletes who would not have an attitude of "I'm getting paid big bucks, I'm untouchable and if you try it, I'll run crying to Whitey or the Media".

By providing some semblance of structure and staying OUT of the media. He doesn't have to answer every question he is asked and he doesn't need to provide more detail than needed. He also needs to work at getting things done and not provide information he doesn't know.

He cockily said the team would keep Fifita a year ago, well here we are. What the heck went wrong there? He had Dearden waiting in the wings who went really well considering he had been out for a year last week, yet he stuck with two hopelessly not working halves, one he bought into the club and trumpeted as a key signing and then made him a co-captain.

All of this has been covered before. He needed to bite his tongue, instil the foundations first and then introduce the new age ideas. Even in the first two rounds, Staggs won one game for the club and Fifita the other, there wasn't much semblance of a structure even then, though they did look better than last year, that is true.
Regarding Dearden and Croft, I think he honestly felt Dearden needed time to come to fruition and didn't want to throw him to the wolves yet and Croft was a player he thought he knew. Again, in hindsight it hasn't played out that way, there was no ISC for Dearden to get game time and Croft is having to come into a team as an outsider and play next to Milford (who is very capable but goes missing) and isn't behind a regimented Storm forward pack. This team lacks on-field direction. He was given the C to try to get some authority out of those who don't believe he should be directing the play. If Milford was to be a game manager and shot-caller shouldn't he be capable and worthy of the C? Seibold did that to try to give the team a focal point. But honestly, it's like someone giving you, Sproj, captaincy of BHQ. You know your footy, you put in a shitload of effort daily to the forum and you can handle yourself as a moderator, but there are definitely one or two posters in here that will disagree with your opinions and some others that will troll you, slag you off and try to undermine your position. It might work, it might not. I doubt Seibold expected the whole team to roll over the way they did, but I'm also 99% confident he thought that Boyd and Milford would put their bodies on the line more. Last year Boyd wasn't even tackling people. This year Milford is barely touching the ball. Come on. I doubt that Seibold is telling Milford to hang back and take it easy. But what can he do? Drop him, right? And replace $1mill. with... Boyd (already discussed), Bird (tried and broken), Isaako (Personal problems), Niu (tried and injured), Arthars (injured), now we are scraping the barrel.
This year is a write-off and Seibold is a victim of a very unusual and specific circumstance. He could do better, yes, but he's not getting much help. The only help he is getting is the club backing him publicly.

The team has 2 tumors that need to be treated and I am personally very upset with both these men for their behaviour. Even if they were unhappy with the coach, they should suck it up, try to work for him and freaking earn their cash. That's professionalism. Seibold should not have to teach anyone how to slide in D, how to man up and how to run a block play. These guys have been doing that since they were teenagers. His job is to analyse the opposition and direct his players to identify when a play is being set and how to adjust. How did Boyd forget to tackle? How did Milf forget to call for the ball and make a play with it? Seibold didn't chloroform them, they just aren't putting in. They aren't competing because they've chosen to take a paycheck they do not currently deserve.

Regarding Dearden and Croft, I think he honestly felt Dearden needed time to come to fruition and didn't want to throw him to the wolves yet and Croft was a player he thought he knew. Again, in hindsight it hasn't played out that way, there was no ISC for Dearden to get game time and Croft is having to come into a team as an outsider and play next to Milford (who is very capable but goes missing) and isn't behind a regimented Storm forward pack. This team lacks on-field direction. He was given the C to try to get some authority out of those who don't believe he should be directing the play. If Milford was to be a game manager and shot-caller shouldn't he be capable and worthy of the C? Seibold did that to try to give the team a focal point. But honestly, it's like someone giving you, Sproj, captaincy of BHQ. You know your footy, you put in a shitload of effort daily to the forum and you can handle yourself as a moderator, but there are definitely one or two posters in here that will disagree with your opinions and some others that will troll you, slag you off and try to undermine your position. It might work, it might not. I doubt Seibold expected the whole team to roll over the way they did, but I'm also 99% confident he thought that Boyd and Milford would put their bodies on the line more. Last year Boyd wasn't even tackling people. This year Milford is barely touching the ball. Come on. I doubt that Seibold is telling Milford to hang back and take it easy. But what can he do? Drop him, right? And replace $1mill. with... Boyd (already discussed), Bird (tried and broken), Isaako (Personal problems), Niu (tried and injured), Arthars (injured), now we are scraping the barrel.
This year is a write-off and Seibold is a victim of a very unusual and specific circumstance. He could do better, yes, but he's not getting much help. The only help he is getting is the club backing him publicly.

The team has 2 tumors that need to be treated and I am personally very upset with both these men for their behaviour. Even if they were unhappy with the coach, they should suck it up, try to work for him and freaking earn their cash. That's professionalism. Seibold should not have to teach anyone how to slide in D, how to man up and how to run a block play. These guys have been doing that since they were teenagers. His job is to analyse the opposition and direct his players to identify when a play is being set and how to adjust. How did Boyd forget to tackle? How did Milf forget to call for the ball and make a play with it? Seibold didn't chloroform them, they just aren't putting in. They aren't competing because they've chosen to take a paycheck they do not currently deserve.

You raise a lot of good points and I think you've touched on a really important issue, the coach has no support and the main issue seems higher up, although the coach is still an issue. The question is whose fault is it? It comes from the top. Why wasn't Fifita wrapped up ages ago? Why were these two tumors signed on such big wages? Why can't they be dropped?

And sack the medical staff, no one would do a better job than they are.

One of the biggest issues at the club, coaching aside, is the strength of our roster. Currently, our squad is imbalanced with too many inexperienced youngsters and too many senior players not pulling their weight or justifying their paycheque. We are lacking depth and are in serious need of some quality and leadership in key positions.

Our massive injury toll has exposed how weak our roster is, but it is something that can be rectified with a cleanout of the roster and making a few astute player acquisitions. We do have a good bunch of talented youngsters, but no one around them for support. Additionally, our depth players are just not ready for first grade quite yet. All the better clubs have depth players that can fill in when required and the team doesn’t even miss a beat.

The most obvious positions we should be looking to spend on are fullback, left centre, five-eighth, backrow, and hooker. There are not many options coming off-contract, but since contracts don’t mean much these days, and with cash in hand if we let go of Milford, Boyd, Bird (and with Fifita leaving), we should go hard at a few specific players who could add what we are missing.

These are the sort of players I would be looking at to fill the voids in our team:

Fullback: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

The most obvious fullback target, and a player who I think we could realistically have a chance of landing. The Warriors have been perennial underachievers for so long, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. it’s sad to see someone of RTS class and ability do so much for that team, with so little reward. His attitude alone is something our team could do with.

Other options: Alex Johnston / Cody Ramsey / Tex Hoy / Tristan Sailor / Jai Field

Left Centre: Tyrone Peachey

I think Peachey would make an excellent centre full time. He has constantly been used as a Mr Fixit of sorts and no coach has settled on a single position for him. I have seen enough of him at centre to know he would be a welcome addition to our team. He is very much like Kotoni Staggs, and I think a centre pairing of those two would be extremely strong and ultimately would not break the bank. With Fifita moving to the Titans and occupying a backrow spot, maybe we could come to some sort of agreement and get an early release for Peachey.

Other options: Cody Ramsey / Paul Momirovski / Euan Aitken

Five-Eighth: Luke Keary

He is exactly the playmaker we need to partner and mentor Dearden. He is coming into the peak of his career and would singlehandedly turn us into a top-eight team again. Throw all of Milford’s money at him, and whatever else he wants. He is an Ipswich boy and we should do anything it takes to bring him home.

Other options: James Maloney / Blake Green / Kieran Foran

Backrow: Angus Crichton

Crichton is a bit of a misfit at the Roosters. He has spent many games coming off the bench due to them having Cordner and Aubusson. He is too good to be an interchange player. Let him know he would be an 80 minute player in the backrow every week. Having him in the team would lessen the blow of losing Fifita.

Other options: Mitch Barnett / Briton Nikora / Jaydn Su’a

Hooker: Cameron Smith

The Storm are in a bit of a difficult situation. They have to choose between one or two years at most more of Cameron Smith, or the next 10+ years of either Harry Grant or Brandon Smith. Either way, we should be going after whoever the Storm don’t choose. Both Grant and Brandon Smith are excellent players who would add a lot to our team, while Cameron Smith would give us the leadership, class and tactical nous to turn us into a premiership contender.

Other options: Harry Grant / Brandon Smith / Sam Verrills

Coach: Craig Bellamy

It would be fitting if Bellamy decided to finish his coaching career where it began. He has always declared his intentions to return to Brisbane once his coaching career finishes. Hopefully, he still has a desire to coach and feels the Storm are in a strong enough position to succeed in the future without him for him to move on and help resurrect the Broncos. No doubt he would rebuild us into the powerful club we once were.

Other options: Shane Flanagan / Kevin Walters / Paul Green / Geoff Toovey

2021 Brisbane Broncos

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck / Alex Johnston / Cody Ramsey / Tex Hoy / Tristan Sailor / Jai Field
2. Herbie Farnworth / Jamayne Isaako / Alex Johnston
3. Tyrone Peachey / Cody Ramsey / Paul Momirovski / Jamayne Isaako / Jesse Arthurs
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Luke Keary / James Maloney / Brodie Croft / Blake Green
7. Thomas Dearden
8. Tevita Pangai Jr
9. Cameron Smith / Harry Grant / Brandon Smith / Sam Verills / Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Angus Chrichton / Mitch Barnett / Briton Nikora / Jaydn Su’a / Corey Oates
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Corey Oates / Cory Paix
15. Thomas Flegler
16. Joe Ofahengaue / Matthew Lodge
17. Ethan Bullemor

Coach: Craig Bellamy / Shane Flanagan / Kevin Walters / Paul Green / Geoff Toovey

As much as I do enjoy your misfortunes every now and again against us... I wouldn't wish Peachey in the centres on you whatsoever. Unless you want those 40+ scorelines to turn to 50+, at least from what he has done at the Titans, he is an absolute liability in defence in the centres. Add to that he is up there with the most penalised player in the game. Other than that some astute suggestions. Hopefully you can get some of them.

You raise a lot of good points and I think you've touched on a really important issue, the coach has no support and the main issue seems higher up, although the coach is still an issue. The question is whose fault is it? It comes from the top. Why wasn't Fifita wrapped up ages ago? Why were these two tumors signed on such big wages? Why can't they be dropped?

And sack the medical staff, no one would do a better job than they are.
Well, that is an interesting question, and one that no media team is asking. There were some bad decisions made for certain. I think it does come from higher, more than likely a similar situation to a lot of modern day organisations (the Australian government included) wherein these "Professionals" come in and fiddle some numbers around to show a profit margin, or make a big marketing scheme and promote certain things, all the while completely ruining a functional organisation all in the name of a profit margin. Then they leave, take a golden handshake and move on to the next sucker they can leech leaving disfunction and a cheesed out subframe.

Personally, I think the club reacted too quickly with Hook and I think also Bennett, while a legend, was not the right decision to have back to the club. Boyd was a compassion signing and his contract was signed on faith and was not well researched. I suspect he was "owed" something. Fifita was not wrapped up ages ago because they were betting on his verbal commitment and the mateship this playing group has. The Broncos want to forge a dedicated playing group and believed he would sign for the glory BUT how can anyone argue with $1.25mill.? That is just F.U. money and you don't say no to F.U. money.

I think ultimately the Broncos stopped signing passionate young men and started playing this Melbourne Storm, Sydney Roosters game of doubling down on bets. I could give a **** about mercenaries, I want a team of doers, a team that fights and a team that will do everything for their mates. You let in one merc. you spoil that ethic. You pay too much for someone who isn't dedicated, you spoil them. The real problem in this whole mess at the Broncos is..... ISAAC MOSES!

Also, the medical staff probably could not cope with the intensity of training these young men to NRL standard all in such a short time. Injuries happen, but 110% preseasons put undue strain on them, I believe.

Last edited:
Relying on the word and the loyalty of a mercenary like Fifita was pretty bloody stupid. The club need to start recruiting and developing players with high character not just freak athletes.

Relying on the word and the loyalty of a mercenary like Fifita was pretty bloody stupid. The club need to start recruiting and developing players with high character not just freak athletes.
Up until he took the big money he really wasn't a merc. Don't get me wrong. I think the climate of the game and the club right now (and his own injury) emphasised the fact that the game can be fickle with payments and player longevity.

Up until he took the big money he really wasn't a merc. Don't get me wrong. I think the climate of the game and the club right now (and his own injury) emphasised the fact that the game can be fickle with payments and player longevity.

But isn't that the definition a mercenary? Like yeah ok previously he didn't leave for more money but he is 20 and this is the first time he has been off contract in his NRL career. What I'm saying is the first time he has the option to take the money he does, so saying he never was previously doesn't hold much weight. It's like someone claiming that they would never cheat on someone without having previously had the option to. If at the first time another person hits on them they cheat, their partner isn't going to say "well they were never a cheater previously".

Last edited:
You mean the injury the club was rehabbing him in? The Broncos stated that he could have played on but they wanted to do the right thing by him long term
They also went out of their way in Bali. No other club outside of the storm and roosters, possibly souffs, would have been able to do what we did there (the difference is 2/3 of those clubs would have got the NRLs help). Better hope there's no alcohol on the gold coast! Or pokies too. Haas, TPJ, lodge all took under, some of them a far larger percentage then what fifita would have taken. He's a dog, plain and simple, he went back on his word to his mates and the club. Strung everyone along to milk the best out of the club and I guarantee you if he was honest with his mates from the start and told them he'd leave for the right amount, all of tthose players would have demanded more money!

You mean the injury the club was rehabbing him in? The Broncos stated that he could have played on but they wanted to do the right thing by him long term
They also went out of their way in Bali. No other club outside of the storm and roosters, possibly souffs, would have been able to do what we did there (the difference is 2/3 of those clubs would have got the NRLs help). Better hope there's no alcohol on the gold coast! Or pokies too. Haas, TPJ, lodge all took under, some of them a far larger percentage then what fifita would have taken. He's a dog, plain and simple, he went back on his word to his mates and the club. Strung everyone along to milk the best out of the club and I guarantee you if he was honest with his mates from the start and told them he'd leave for the right amount, all of tthose players would have demanded more money!

Queen of the Nile at The Star won't know what's hit it.

Aren't some of those guys where he is headed been known to be partial to spending their huge salaries on nose candy?

no love on here for Cade Cust; the kids is growing in confidence before our eyes this year..

If you dont think SoS is the answer it would be worth our time throwing our hat into the ring..?

But isn't that the definition a mercenary? Like yeah ok previously he didn't leave for more money but he is 20 and this is the first time he has been off contract in his NRL career. What I'm saying is the first time he has the option to take the money he does, so saying he never was previously doesn't hold much weight. It's like someone claiming that they would never cheat on someone without having previously had the option to. If at the first time another person hits on them they cheat, their partner isn't going to say "well they were never a cheater previously".
I challenge anyone working a job to be offered 3 times their salary and and an extra 550, 000 more than they can earn in their prime per annum, and not take it.
The broncos have offloaded more players that have shown "loyalty" to, and I'm fine with that provided we're honest with the players.
When Bennet was here he'd ask them to play for less, in return for "loyalty". That was the cost. Those days are gone. Now we pay what we pay and if it is not written on legal paper it's worthless. Sometimes it's worthless anyway.
The most important thing is to be true to the people you rely on. I'm not sure that has been true of anyone in this organisation for a while now, and if a new CEO has one job that is more important than any other, it's rebuilding trust within the organisation. Trust between the club officials and coaching staff, the staff and players, and within the playing group. Not just in reward but accountability and a set standard that everyone abides by.
I think that has been lost along the way and is something the likes of Paul Morgan and others have alluded to.
One thing I respected was that in the old days Bennet would get his coaching commission with a handshake. Players would play for the team and the team was everything. If you were in the team senior players expected performance. Excuses were not allowed on the field. And the coach would talk about the team, not players (he'd usually say a load of rubbish but it wasn't to be accountable to some driven media story but to drive a result for the games to come). What he said in the dressing room stayed there however, and that's how it should be. At the end of the day he has to face them and have their respect. Not their love, not their fear but respect. I'm not sure that is the case right now.

This is a great post. Siebs is in the fight of his life, yeah the club has gone down hill but like you point out there is so much more to it then Siebs bad. The media have gone full throttle, they said on 360 early in the year how it was personal and the media should not be put offside because they can do this to you. They literally said that Seibs had burnt bridges and put them offside and it was a dangerous game. What if the guy necks himself, or a player. It's not social media it's the clowns talking on panels that are going over the edge in my opinion.

Our senior group is a joke. Our million dollar player is an unfit, unprofessional joke and a peaheart to boot. He came out with a thigh sleeve for an excuse and now has a "knee injury" he is overcoming apparently. What his excuse for the condition he came back in post Covid. He is perhaps my biggest disappointment in all of this.

Chris Garry reckons that the Broncos are trying to get rid of both Milford and Bird for 2021, likely to have to pay a fair bit of each’s salary also.
Imagine if we were able to have Milford, Boyd, Bird and Kahu off the books in 2021. Might even get extra lucky and get the Bulldogs to take on Macca..
Sounds like things may actually be moving behind the scenes, although there really is no outstanding talent on the market for us to go after.

I take a bit of issue with the whole ‘if you were offered triple your wage you’d do the same’ argument.

If I was offered that, sure I’d take it. But I also don’t have my career on tv every week watched by fans of my employer and every other rival company’s fans and commented on every day in the media. it’s a silly argument to try and compare professional sports contracts with Joe Blow working a $60k pa shitkicker job that no one cares about and whether or not he takes a higher paying job still moving shit from A to B

While loyalty in the workforce is pretty much dead, we look at sports with some old-school romanticism and want players we like to stay at our club and become revered figures like the days of old. Fans are also paying money to see their team play, so they deserve to be cut a little slack when they get pissed off when stuff like this happens

Active Now

• mieko
  • Spoon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncsgoat
  • sooticus
  • theshed
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.